Seven try Harlequins breeze past London Welsh

Saturday, 4th October 2014 @ 19:20

More Results


8th Mar 2020

Kick off 13:00


29th Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


22nd Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


15th Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


2nd Feb 2020

Kick off 13:00

Harlequins inflicted a record equalling victory over London Welsh in the Aviva Premiership, with a 52-0 win at the Twickenham Stoop.

It was a match that favoured Harlequins in all aspects. Mike Brown scored his 50th Premiership try, Marland Yarde opened his scoring for the club with a brace and Nick Evans was 100% accurate from the kicking tee.

Alongside Yarde and Brown’s scores, Matt Hopper, Karl Dickson, Danny Care and a penalty try contributed to the well-deserved victory.

This win means that the club has had a better start to the current season than last, with three wins out of the opening five matches.

After a torrential downpour, the conditions eased off half an hour before kick-off providing the perfect environment for Harlequins’ attacking form.

It took just four minutes for the backline to rip open the Welsh defence. From a rolling maul, a clever one-two in midfield between Care and the returning Tom Casson allowed Nick Evans to break the line. Offloading to Brown, the fullback touched down for his landmark score.

Eight minutes later, it was Care who crossed the line. Aseli Tikoirotuma picked the ball from the base of a ruck and ran through the middle of the breakdown. The Fijian drew in Seb Jewell and offloaded to Care for the try.

Both tries were converted by Evans and the fly-half added to his haul with a penalty on 22 minutes.

As the first half drew to a close, the hosts held off significant Welsh pressure. Harlequins defended on their line for a large period and Welsh opted to kick to touch instead of opting for three points when the opportunity arose.

Charlie Matthews stole a lineout in the final minutes and Harlequins cleared, taking a 17-0 half time lead.

The second half began like the first; Yarde scored his first try for the club following a mesmerising run from Brown into the Welsh half in the 41st minute.

Just four minutes passed before Hopper crossed the whitewash. Robshaw made a half break in the 22 and the offloading between the flanker and Evans allowed the centre to bundle over.

In the midway point of the second half, Welsh again had opportunities to get on the score board with kickable penalties. Opting for the lineouts, they never converted up the desired score.

After an injury to Eddie Aholelei stopped play for a number of minutes, Harlequins were awarded a penalty try. Dickson broke through the line and with a score imminent former Harlequin Seb Stegmann tackled the scrum-half high.

After consulting the TMO, referee Dean Richards awarded a penalty score and sin binned the Welsh wing. Dickson didn’t have to wait long for a try of his own.

On the 68th minute, Harlequins turned over possession. Brown’s chip over the line allowed the scrum-half to gather the ball and run in uncontested. This try from Dickson took the score beyond the 40 point mark.

With the half century of points in their grasp Ollie Lindsay-Hague provided the platform to get Harlequins over that threshold. The replacement full-back made a trade mark break down the wing to put Harlequins deep in the opposing half. Possession was recycled quickly and Yarde secured his brace.

Nick Evans scored his eighth kick of the match to round off and excellent performance.

Harlequins travel to Welford Road next Friday evening, before returning to The Stoop to open the new European Champions Cup campaign against Castres Olympique. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here.

Team line Ups

League Table 2014-15

No league table data found