Quins seen off by clinical 14-man Wasps

Sunday, 11th February 2018 @ 15:30

More Results


8th Mar 2020

Kick off 13:00


29th Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


22nd Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


15th Feb 2020

Kick off 15:00


2nd Feb 2020

Kick off 13:00

Six tries from Wasps blew Harlequins away 22-44 at The Stoop. The visitors had already scored two of those tries before centre Kyle Eastmond was shown a red card on the 17th minute for a high tackle on Marcus Smith; leaving Wasps a man short for more than an hour.

The Londoners did level the scores shortly after half-time before Wasps raced in a further three tries. Charlie Matthews crossed for a consolation score in the 71st minute before Josh Bassett darted over in the corner late on to wrap up the scoring.

Harlequins were inches away from a bonus point try but Wasps' resolute defence stood strong to ensure The Stoop outfit ended the match with nothing.

Earlier, Harlequins arrived at The Stoop hurting from their exit in the Anglo-Welsh Cup and narrow defeat to Sale Sharks last time out in league action.

With both sides at 15-a-side, Wasps dominated the early exchanges and in the sixth minute Dai Young's team crossed when Dan Robson's intuitive thinking allowed him to spot the gap at the ruck and race through. The scrum-half stabbed through a kick and centre Juan De Jongh gathered to dot down under the posts.

Returnee from injury, Kyle Sinckler looked fired up for the match from the start and his early hard-hitting runs made quite the impression. With Wasps whistled for an early infringement Marcus Smith reduced the deficit from a penalty.

From the restart, Quins were made to pay when Thomas Young raced through the midfield from a smart Willie Le Roux offload to head to the corner and cross.

Although Tim Visser would eventually score in the match, he was denied a score earlier when he was deemed to be short following a strong James Chisholm break.

Shortly after, and an early talking point. After a high tackle on Ross Chisholm - which would eventually end his afternoon - and another on Marcus Smith, Wasps' Kyle Eastmond was shown a red card by Wayne Barnes on the 17th minute.

With The Stoop crowd ignited by the man advantage, Harlequins had two chances to score but would be denied. Firstly, the hosts infringed metres out after a clever Aaron Morris break before Le Roux did well to hold up Dave Lewis following an excellent Smith run in the middle of the pitch.

After knocking down the door, Quins' try did come when Tim Visser was on the end of a move off the scrum involving both a strong Jamie Roberts run and the quick hands of Marcus Smith.

John Kingston's side were whistled shortly after and Cipriani stuck over the resulting penalty. Quins got their fluid offload game going towards the end of the half but again Wasps did enough to pinch possession and the half finished 10-15.

Sunny conditions turned to sleet and rain early in the second half with the home side benefiting from the adverse weather. Fullback Morris - on in Chisholm's place - gathered the high ball and raced down the left wing untouched to cross and level the scores.

Quins again were whistled shortly after levelling the scores and Cipriani extended the lead to three. From there the away side began to move out of sight with two quickfire scores.

Great hands from Wasps allowed the visitors the opportunity to get numbers left. Juan De Jongh did well to hold on and Thomas Young benefitted from the offload to dash over.

Down to 14, and Wasps raced downfield from their own half, weaving between the backs and Le Roux got on the end of the move to get himself over the line. With just under half an hour to play, Wasps led 15-32.

The Ricoh Arena side began to turn the screw and forced Harlequins to rack up the penalties. Camped in their own five metres, Wasps repeatedly kicked to the corner from the penalties. Eventually Wayne Barnes had enough, and Archie White was the one to spend ten minutes in the bin.

With the try bonus point already in the bag, Wasps went over again from a routine line out and maul move which saw Tom Cruse get down. Both he and Jack Willis impressed in the loose.

In a season where dramatic comebacks have been so common for Quins it never looked on with the half dwindling but the try bonus point was still a reality. Charlie Matthews reached over to score eight minutes from time after Wasps' defence was breached from metres out.

Wasps would have the last laugh to round off an extremely tough afternoon for Quins when Josh Bassett latched onto Danny Cipriani's grubber kick to touch down three minutes from the end.

Harlequins did get close to a try bonus point after a stretch of immense pressure on the Wasps line, but after deciding to go through the forwards an infringement from the home side ended the match.

The Londoners now head to Welford Road to take on Leicester Tigers next weekend before hosting Newcastle Falcons at The Stoop on Saturday 24th February (kick-off 15:00). Tickets available at tickets.quins.co.uk or by calling the Ticket Office on 020 8410 6010.


Team line Ups

Gallagher Premiership

League Table 2017-18

22 17 0 5 618 354 79 42 13 4 85
22 16 0 6 731 350 89 40 10 3 77
22 14 1 7 615 501 79 61 10 3 71
22 14 0 8 455 506 55 60 7 0 63
22 13 0 9 537 472 61 55 5 6 63
22 11 0 11 572 531 63 68 8 4 56
22 11 1 10 490 597 65 73 8 2 56
22 10 0 12 556 531 67 60 9 5 54
22 8 0 14 509 645 64 80 5 6 43
22 7 0 15 479 640 58 78 5 3 36
22 7 0 15 432 601 54 74 5 3 36
22 3 0 19 385 651 42 85 3 7 22